Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Stop focusing on the hard part, stupid.

I've said a lot lately (in places other than here, obviously) about how t3h suck tired one gets doing this. I shouldn't emphasize that. I'm actually doing this because I hate being tired.

When I was sleeping polyphasically, I felt tired less often than I can ever remember, before or since. Most of the time I was completely alert; after a short time I only felt tired right before I took a nap. And waking up from the naps was ridiculously easy; most of the time I woke up right before my alarm, feeling completely refreshed. I had vivid dreams--rarely had nightmares, which was a 180 for me--and didn't feel in the slightest bit deprived of sleep.

When I quit last time, it was largely or mostly because my situation drastically changed: I left college, moved back to Detroit from Santa Fe (yes, yes, sounds like a brilliant plan, I know) and got a 9-5 job. I can remember having felt a bit tired in the week or two (I think) preceding this change. That might have been stress, or it might have been the need for a longer sleep. In the rather minimal reading I did before I started doing the Uberman, I did often come across references to taking a "long day" every month or few months, and sleeping anywhere from 8-20 hours. When I went back to monophasic sleeping, though, I don't remember sleeping in at all. In fact, I think I only slept a few hours the first night, and then went back to eight.

Mind you, as soon as I was monophasic again, I was tired a lot again. Oddly enough, the sleep difficulties I'd been having that prompted me to give polyphasic a serious try did not return after I quit. I still don't sleep great and I'm still not at all a morning person and I'm often sleepy, but what overworked American can't say that?

I guess I'm just overfocused on how incredibly SUCK that first week-and-a-half or so is. Last time I got through it with a good friend to help every minute and a near-ideal living situation. (C'mon, dorm?) This time it's just me, and to be honest I'm kind of overwhelmed at how not-ideal the situation is. However, I work all day at a job where it's my duty to use insane amounts of organization and creativity to overcome absolutely ridiculous odds; weirdly enough, I seem to be good at it. And I have this strange, Scientologian conviction that I can do this.

Preparation continues.

-PD

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya, PD. It's good to hear about your renewed interest in polyphasic sleep and exciting to learn about a forthcoming tome on the subject from such an authority. ;) I've been following a few of the Uberman journals over the past couple months (Pavlina, Tynan) and just today, coincidentally, I said what the hell and decided to take the plunge myself. I'm taking naps on the 4s, 8s, and 12s. I'd love to hear what your preparation entails, or if you plan on modifying your diet at all. Take care, and good luck with 'the nap'!
-Joe

25 May, 2006 23:50  
Blogger PureDoxyk said...

Pavlina and Tynan are definitely some of the best sources I've found for info on people actually doing Uberman and succeeding. I will definitely try to include info here about any diet/lifestyle mods I make in preparation (though for the moment, I'm not making any--the only thing I see maybe having to change right up front is my coffee habit, but even that is light).

Heh, 4,8,12 is what I did the first time! I had to move it to 2,6,10 this time, but hey, you do what you gotta do. Best of luck!
PD

28 May, 2006 19:10  

Post a Comment

<< Home